Purpose of program. 365 Days of Gratitude Giving you 365 Days of Positivity.
Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.
— Oprah Winfrey
1. It works. (I could make that all 10 of the reasons because once you know that, it’s really the only reason you need to know. Posithanks invokes the law of displacement which states that two properties cannot occupy the same space at the same time. So if you want to remove negativity, which remember has a expodential domino affect of more negatives, then instead of filling your space with negative thoughts, actions and words, replace the space with moments of gratitude and you will be thinking and living a life of positivity. So if your convinced and you do want a more positive life, you don’t need to read the other 9 reasons. They are for those who need to intellectualize why they would go to such effort to do “all that work” or for those that want to teach others.
2. Posithanks is a fundamental Posivalue of Positivity! Yes.. the posi posi posi redundancy is on purpose. Simply stated, 20% of your values gets you 80% of your results and the value of daily gratitude is a fundamental building block of a positive and healthy life.
3. Practice Makes Perfect. Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan know it, do you? Do you know it, but don’t do it? Or you could look at it like the 3 Little Pigs (see below). If you give thanks a couple of times a year, and every now and then at a family meal, then you have a house full of straw. The fist bad thing or little wolf that runs into you and blows even just a little wind and your house and stability is gone and off you go running into stress and more negativity. Or perhaps you do have a routine and give thanks at every meal and often when you go to worship, but then the wolf blows a little harder and your house of sticks also blows away and you’re off running into a life of blaming and complaining and negativity, after all you’re a little more ticked off that you did all that work to build your house of sticks and life still blew it away like the guy who just used straw….. life’s not fair!!! On the other hand you could build your foundation a lot stronger…. oh, that requires more time, more money and mor work….hmmm, but when the wolf comes a long (read crap comes your way) and huffs and puffs and tries to blow your life away, surprise surpise your house is still standing because yes you have a foundation.
4. The law of the harvest; you sew what you reap. If you give thanks and positivy you will get back thanks appreciation and more positivity, not to mention if you do it as a congruent posivalue then you may also get more of what you’re thanking someone for. Nuff said.
5. Joy! Happiness! Contentment! Take your pick, when you are thankful for things good and also bad you are in a Positive or Good Vibration. Just like you can’t be mad while laughing…(scienfically proven by the way) when you’re thankful you can’t be mad, negative, or even neutral, ’cause when you’re neutral you don’t care… when you’re positive and thankful you’re happy! Nuff said.
6. Core values need a better foundation. The simple fact of that matter is the more you use it in different contexts, the more solid your foundation. Ask a contractor…. there are different consistencies and fortifications of cement. You need much different cement for a bridge or tall building than your patio.
7. For those you love. The more you live the life of Posithanks, the more you’re environment around you becomes positive and therefor if you want those you love to be living in a better enviroment, of which you make an important impact, then employ the life of gratitude and Posithanks program and better yet, share it with someone!
8. Law of displacement in reverse. People who don’t show gratitude and appreciation fill there life with bliss, a sence of entitlement and to others appear to be arrogant and ungrateful. I could go on with the negatives but I think you get the picture. In this context you have to remember that every one of these issues is an either or choice. Either you chose to respond with gratitute or you chose to ignore or even get angry if it’s a negative situation. You can’t have both.
9. Conditions your minds to a consistent posichoice. (Yes another new word that doesn’t need a whole lot of explaination). You mind is like a muscle, you train your muscles and you train your brain…. or your brain trains you… So who’s in charge. Make a posichoice and participate in posithanks.
10. Reciliancy to adversity. For those of us who need the logic, this is perhaps the most important point, so read on.
We all know the story of the Three Little Pigs. The story certainly ties into the foundation point, and that’s perfect because congruent positve values and practices are holistic in nature. One plus one = three.
Piggy # 1. Not so prepared for life is he?
If you give thanks a couple of times a year, and every now and then at a family meal, then you have a house full of straw. The fist bad thing or little wolf that runs into you and blows even just a little wind and your house and stability is gone and off you go running into stress and more negativity.
Piggy # 2. Learned some good ideas but not enough to really make a difference.
Perhaps you do have a routine and give thanks at every meal and often when you go to worship, but then the wolf blows a little harder and your house of sticks also blows away and you’re off running into a life of blaming and complaining and negativity, after all you’re a little more ticked off that you did all that work to build your house of sticks and life still blew it away like the guy who just used straw….. life’s not fair!!!
Piggy # 3. Had a Dad that was a bick layer, and a mom that taught and practiced values, like gratitude and work and also stressed practice practice practice to make strong habits!
On the other hand you could build your foundation a lot stronger…. oh, that requires more time, more money and more work….hmmm. However as we all know when the wolf came a long (read crap comes your way) and huffed and puffed and tried to blow the house down or adversity comes along to know your life on its ass, surprise surpise your house is still standing because yes you have a foundation and your house is much more reciliant.
But Fairy Tales Aren’t Real?
Well of course they’re not real. Stories like Peter Pan, and Alice In Wonderland and yes even the Three Little Pigs are routed in parables and deeper meaning and yes, they and life don’t always have a perfect ending or story line.
So let’s take it one step further. Posithanks or living a life with the positive lenze of gratitude gives you the foundation that when really bad things happen to good people, you still have a rationalle and foundation to accept and make sence of things in a positive light. What does that mean… it means yes that occasionally even the brick house gets blown away, perhaps not by a wolf but some other force of nature and at the point you if you and your family are still alive you have that to be thankful for, and even if you are not so fortunate and lose a loved one you can still be thankful for those you have left….. thats when you’re unshakable, that’s when you’re content, that’s when you become the imovable rock. Were not trying to be a Pollyana here and not acknowledge that the grieveing process would certainly deal with some anger, frustration and lots of questions, but the more you hold these views of gratitude the faster you return to some sence of normalcy. There are many examples you could draw upon including many people who live in dire poverty and really know the meaning of being thankful for the simple things like water and waking up to live another day. You could also draw on another example closer to home.
Michael J. Fox lives life to the fullest and has reached the ultimate level of high emotional quotient as he has decided to be greatful to live with Parkinsons…… wow,. I think about him and his determination, reciliancy but most of all attitute which includes living the life of gratitude. Almost ever day, a situation will arise and I will relate it to the way he approaches life head on and his live by example illustration lightens my load and puts any and all obsticles in their proper light…… that’s Posithanks and the journey we can all take to get to that elevation!
To educate yourself for the feeling of gratitude means to take nothing for granted, but to always seek out and value the kind that will stand behind the action. Nothing that is done for you is a matter of course. Everything originates in a will for the good, which is directed at you. Train yourself never to put off the word or action for the expression of gratitude.
— Albert Schweitzer
In an experimental comparison, those who kept gratitude journals on a weekly basis exercised more regularly, reported fewer physical symptoms, felt better about their lives as a whole, and were more optimistic about the upcoming week compared to those who recorded hassles or neutral life events (Emmons & McCullough, 2003).
A related benefit was observed in the realm of personal goal attainment: Participants who kept gratitude lists were more likely to have made progress toward important personal goals (academic, interpersonal and health-based) over a two-month period compared to subjects in the other experimental conditions.
A daily gratitude intervention (self-guided exercises) with young adults resulted in higher reported levels of the positive states of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, attentiveness and energy compared to a focus on hassles or a downward social comparison (ways in which participants thought they were better off than others). There was no difference in levels of unpleasant emotions reported in the three groups.
Participants in the daily gratitude condition were more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or having offered emotional support to another, relative to the hassles or social comparison condition.
In a sample of adults with neuromuscular disease, a 21-day gratitude intervention resulted in greater amounts of high energy positive moods, a greater sense of feeling connected to others, more optimistic ratings of one’s life, and better sleep duration and sleep quality, relative to a control group.
Children who practice grateful thinking have more positive attitudes toward school and their families (Froh, Sefick, & Emmons, 2008).
Most people report being grateful (an average rating of nearly 6 on a 7 point scale).
Well-Being: Grateful people report higher levels of positive emotions, life satisfaction, vitality, optimism and lower levels of depression and stress. The disposition toward gratitude appears to enhance pleasant feeling states more than it diminishes unpleasant emotions. Grateful people do not deny or ignore the negative aspects of life.
Prosociality: People with a strong disposition toward gratitude have the capacity to be empathic and to take the perspective of others. They are rated as more generous and more helpful by people in their social networks (McCullough, Emmons, & Tsang, 2002).
Spirituality: Those who regularly attend religious services and engage in religious activities such as prayer reading religious material score are more likely to be grateful. Grateful people are more likely to acknowledge a belief in the interconnectedness of all life and a commitment to and responsibility to others (McCullough et. al., 2002). Gratitude does not require religious faith, but faith enhances the ability to be grateful.
Materialism: Grateful individuals place less importance on material goods; they are less likely to judge their own and others success in terms of possessions accumulated; they are less envious of others; and are more likely to share their possessions with others relative to less grateful persons.